WHS Fall Football/Competition Cheer Information:
Try-out Dates: April 8th and April 9th from 3:15 until 5pm will be our tryout clinic days. April 10th, 2013, beginning at 3:15pm we will have our official tryout. Both clinics and tryouts will take place in the upper MPIF practice room. Please enter the high school via door #13.
• Prospective Cheerleaders must attend at least one clinic day on Monday and/or Tuesday (attending both clinic days is highly recommended) and the try-out day on Wednesday.
• Prospective Cheerleaders should wear a tee shirt and shorts, tennis shoes, and hair longer than shoulder length should be in a ponytail. Also, no jewelry is allowed. We LOVE for your Westfield spirit to show in what you choose to wear.
• Prospective Cheerleaders will learn and perform the School Song, two or three sideline cheers, several jumps, and have the opportunity to show any tumbling skills they have during the actual tryout on Wednesday. Sample score sheet will be given out during the first clinic day.
• Outside judges from the IU cheer program will be brought in as try-out judges, but final cuts will be made by the head coach.
• Natural point cutoffs will guide team selection. A standing back handspring is a MINIMUM tumbling requirement to make the Varsity Squad. Specific squad placements (i.e. Varsity, JV, Freshman, or Competition) will be named following try-outs and emailed to you. The email will list squads by the athlete’s tryout numbers. If you were not chosen for one of our fall squads, please consider working on the items on the score sheet and coming back for our basketball cheer team tryouts in November.
• Finally, if you are chosen for the 2013 Football Squad, we will have a mandatory uniform fitting and information meeting for cheerleaders and their parents on Monday, April 15th to answer any questions you might have about the upcoming season and order personal items like briefs, poms, jerseys, camp clothing, shoes, etc. We will have juniors and seniors meet at 5:30pm to get uniform sizes, sophomores and freshman meet at 6pm to get uniform sizes, and start our information meeting at 7pm. Immediately following our informational meeting, our uniform rep will take your personal item orders. We look forward to seeing you at the fittings/parent/athlete meeting!
Please Note: We will only have a freshman squad if numbers permit (i.e. more than four qualified freshman do not make the Varsity or JV squads). Also competition team members will be chosen separately from Varsity, JV, and Freshman Squads – there is no guarantee you will be placed on the competition team, even if you make the Varsity squad. All cheerleaders will be considered for the competition squad this season –the option of asking us not to consider you for a competition spot is no longer available. If placed on the competition squad, you will be expected to compete.